The Durham Pistol and Rifle Club (DPRC) was organized in 1946 as a private, member-only club to promote sportsmanship, competition, and training in pistol and rifle marksmanship. The first range (located off of Pickett Road, Durham, North Carolina) was the home of a small, but enthusiastic group of rifle and pistol shooters. In the first twenty-two years of the DPRC’s existence, some ten annual North Carolina State Championship pistol and rifle tournaments were held at the club’s range. In 1987 the club membership decided to move the facilities to a less populated area and relocated the club to its current home in Alamance County, south of Mebane.
For more than fifty years the club has sponsored sanctioned competitions. DPRC sponsors matches include: NRA sanctioned Bullseye Pistol and High Power Rifle matches, CMP sanctioned Vintage Rifle matches, 2 Gun Rimfire matches, Precision Rimfire Matches, various Black Powder matches and will be sending teams to the National Championships in Camp Perry, Ohio. The DPRC also features “Women Of Steel” a reoccurring women-only shooting event designed to promote the introduction of the shooting sports.
With a modern forty-point pistol range, a 300 yard rifle range, a twenty-point IR 50/50-sanctioned benchrest range, multiple general purpose ranges, and a dedicated 150 yard .22LR range the Durham Pistol and Rifle Club stands ready to serve its membership and the shooting sports community for the next fifty years.